Translate

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Vintage Twenties Teddy Bear

This Teddy Bear is from an advert from 1920. Named after the United States President Theodore Roosevelt (whose nickname was "Teddy") following a cartoon where he refused to kill a tied up beaten black bear (1902). The following year, Morris Michtom (Ideal Novelty and Toy Co) wrote to the president asking for permission to market a (Teddy Bear) and was given permission, the rest as they say is history. However, there are disputes over the first "Teddy Bear" as it is believed that the Steiff firm in Germany, unaware of Michtom's bear, produced a stuffed bear from Richard Steiff's designs at around the same time and they can stand up, but it was released in the 1920's. It's price back then: 79 cents. Today's price: almost more than 125 dollars.  Can you believe it!

Here is a picture:

My grandmother use to own one but she sold it to a collector and I remember I saw it once or twice but I think I was scared of it! I wonder how it felt I would always run when I saw it maybe it felt really rough since it's fur was fake. CREEPY.

But compared to today's their pretty pricey since there rare but at least our teddy bears are soft.

Here's a picture:
So cute! and not that pricey.

No comments:

Post a Comment